Monday 30 July 2007

Day 16: Monday, 30 July

Worthington, MN to Austin, MN...[map]
Another day in the van - it's exhausting + I'm a radio star...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mileage: zero miles,
Weather: Sunny, quite humid, Temp: 70-88°F
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(For my fans, by popular request, I've added photos to yesterday's entry...)

Made the tough decision that the calf hasn't quite healed enough to take 143 miles, so I'm in the van again today. Actually, I was in a car... no several cars during the day. Steve (with me yesterday) tried out his leg but stopped after 20 miles. Hope we're both better tomorrow. I was joined today by Jerry who has a boil on his...err...he can't sit on his saddle. We had Rebecca's (Lon's daughter) Jetta today, so in theory we had a bit of freedom, but the day didn't turn out that way...

We found some roadworks near Jackson that we couldn't get the riders through, so we were looking for a detour. First option was a 20 mile detour - vetoed, too long. Next Susan (tour director) tried the police to see if we could use the I-90 - vetoed as 'too dangerous' by the cops. (Although we've been riding I-90, further west, we're not allowed to in Minnesota, even though the I-90 is relatively traffic free with a good shoulder). So the only choice was to roll the riders down a busy road (more dangerous than the I-90 - smacks forehead) and let them criss-cross to Jackson on a minor road.

We set up the first sag stop at a John Deere Tractor dealer. There were some rather big machines on display and some fun pictures were taken.

Jerry wanted a sleep and asked me to drive, but I had to disappoint him, I didn't have my driving licence on me, and I didn't want to run the risk of being carted off to the local jail, or Guantanamo, or something... (Although, I'm sure all my readers would mount a vociferous campaign for my release!). We pretty much followed the riders from then on in. I waved a lot and shouted (encouragement) a lot. So, much so, I needed a double cheeseburger and two puddings for lunch at Blue Earth to compensate.

I also became a radio star! A reporter popped up and started interviewing Lon (tour director) about the tour. He then interviewed me, because I was a Brit! I gave such a good account of myself, I'm sure it'll be on all the majors later today... or maybe just Blue Earth local radio - KZWY (or something).

I hitched another lift as Jon wanted to go and P in the road... (Mark the road with Pactour arrows for the riders to follow diversions, that is). After ice-creams (life is tough) I got to the finish first. My second first place!

What, ... using cars doesn't count? Damn.

ps: Should be back on the bike tomorrow...



First sag at the tractor dealers...
Just after making the first down payment on my new toy...
(or: Shaun's suggestion for cutting though the M25 jams...)
(or: @ the Ohio Boys - Mine is bigger than yours!)
The calm before the storm - mid-morning snacks...
Route 66 custom number plate on van.

4 comments:

R & A said...

Nice to hear (read) a more upbeat report, and it must be said that the calf muscle injury would seem less painful than a boil on the 'saddle region'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the additional pics and the new vehicle should work wonders in the M25 traffic

R & A

Beth said...

Well Well having a rest are we!! Only Joking, hope to hear that your soon back in the saddle..........so which is easier, the support team or the riding???
Take Care
Beth and the Mob XX

Shaun said...

Riding, definitely.

Anonymous said...

Shaun in civvies - where's my printer!!!!

Mx